Time for an update on the situation that is GameSpot. If your new to the situation, Jeff Gerstmann, reviewer for about a decade, has been fired over his Kane & Lynch: Dead Men review. No official word on the firing was ever given. Lets see whats new today.
- NeoGAF is blocking out anything related to GameSpot and CNET in protest and support for Jeff Gerstmann.Could this be the breakdown of the GameSpot we once knew and loved?
- In response to a Gamespot forum thread, the new Gamespot Manager of Community Development said he is "eagerly anticipating the official word to be released on Tuesday."
- Gamespot has stoped user reviews of Kane & Lynch after a flood of 1.0 ratings lowered the game's user score to a 2.6/10.
- Destructoid, who seems to be pretty pissed at GameSpot as well, registed the site CashWh0re.com, which leads to their site with the CashWhore banner.
- Aaron Thomas, a GameSpot employee, explains why more employees aren't speaking up on this situation: "This isn't GameSpot suddenly clamping down on me or any of us here--this is how it is for anyone with a job."
- Gamespot freelancer Frank Provo spoke his feelings: "Personally, my respect for CNet is shot, and writing for GameSpot is going to feel like a chore for quite some time going forward."
- GameSpot users are reportedly canceling paid subscriptions left and right, starting threads with every cancelled subscription, and planning boycotts of Gamespot and its advertisers.
- The main discussion thread on the GameSpot forums for the Gerstmann firing has reached over 11, 225 posts.
- GameSpot has removed it's "Most Popular Tags" box, which contained things such as "cnet, bullshit, integrity, fired, jeff gerstmann, corruption, credibility, etc."