Sony has just announced a new update coming our way, bringing one of the things we've all been waiting for (no, not in-game XMB), DivX support! Not just that though, also WMV support, and Blu-Ray Disc 1.1 support as well! The new firmware is firmware version 2.10. The features below.
Voice ChangerThrow away all your quality reducing video converters, because this update hits tomorrow, December 18, 2007.
- The Voice Changer feature has been added to voice / video chat. Visit the Voice Changer guide in Help & Support under PS3 at eu.playstation.com for more details.
- You can now select [Type 3] as an option under Settings > [Music Settings] > [Bitmapping]. This bitmapping process was developed specifically for the PS3TM system to enhance audio playback.
- DivX and VC-1 (WMV) have been added to the types of files that can be played. *
- Blu-ray Disc Profile 1.1 is now supported. **
- [BD Data Utility] has been added. ***
* To play VC-1 (WMV) format files, you must go to Settings > [System Settings] and set [Enable WMA Playback].
- Copyright-protected files or files that were encoded by using DivX 3.11 cannot be played. - Files that are 2GB or more cannot be played.
** You may now be able to use several additional features such as playback of two videos at the same time with Profile 1.1-compatible Blu-ray Discs. The available features vary depending on the disc.
*** The management data that is used by the Blu-ray Disc is saved.