New PSP(R) (PlayStation(R)Portable) Expands Its Entertainment Experience by Introducing Skype(TM)
TOKYO, Jan. 6 /PRNewswire/ — Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. (SCEI) today announced that it would introduce Skype(TM) features to the new slim and light PSP(R) (PlayStation(R)Portable) handheld entertainment system (PSP-2000 series). More than 246 million members are registered for the use of this communications software, which enables users to communicate with other Skype users around the world over the Internet. Calls between Skype users are free of charge.
By introducing Skype on PSP, the following features and services will be made available to PSP users (*1) (*2):
– Free voice calls between Skype users
– Skype contact list management (view existing contacts, add new ones)
– Skype presence (see which friends are online and available to talk)
– SkypeOut(TM) calls to make calls to landlines and mobile phones anywhere in the world (requires the purchase of Skype credit)
– Optional SkypeIn(TM) number that lets users receive calls on Skype from and lines and mobiles anywhere in the world (requires the purchase of Skype credit)
– View and modify Skype settings and account details (including username creation, SkypeOut settings, voicemail settings and call forwarding)
PSP users worldwide will be able to start using Skype features and services through a simple system software update scheduled in late January. After updating the PSP system software, a Skype icon will be added to the Network category in the home menu. PSP users who do not yet have a Skype username can register by clicking the icon and following the instructions. PSP users who already have a Skype username can immediately sign in by clicking the Skype icon and entering their username and password. SCEI will deploy various measures to meet users’ demand and vigorously promote the expansion of the PSP platform as a handheld entertainment system to enjoy a variety of interactive digital entertainment.
* For more information on Skype, please visit www.skype.com
(*1) To enjoy Skype features on PSP, users will need Memory Stick Duo(TM), a wireless Internet connection and a Skype-compatible audio input device.
(*2) In order to receive calls, users must be connected to the Internet and signed in through the Skype screen on PSP.