You can view the scans of the multiplayer mode (with actual new screenshots) at the link.
- In all multiplayer modes entire Liberty City is available (Host sets what area people respawn at this is the main battle area but you can go anywhere).
- Your online character can be male or female.
- The money you get determines you rank online.
- You get money by killing people.
- Host can set how the game chat works (everyone hears you, only teams can hear eachother, or proximity chat).
- In race mode anything goes (you can use helicopters, boats, or even run across finish as long as your first you win).
- Shooting and driving is fairly difficult (as it should be).
- Hangmans NOOSE is 4 players and starts at airport where you must take Kenny Petrovic to safe zone in city while persuade by the NOOSE team (National Organization of Security Enforcement).
- You can skip rockets across the ground if aimed correctly.
- Free roam is just that: no rules, no cash, host decides weapons.
- OXM believed that free roam will be Grand Theft Auto IV's app and said it was incredible fun and will last for years and years they believe.
- Jeronimo Barrera, a senior developer at Rockstar, says it takes testers playing 4 hours a day "a good 2 weeks to get through the whole single-player game".
- Rockstar's Steve Hahnel says the ambition of Grand Theft Auto IV is the reason the game was delayed. Multiplayer was one of the main things responsible for the delay. Gameplay needed to be balanced, and "an authentic Liberty City had to be created for 16 players to explore and destroy simultaneously."
- In multiplayer, as stated previously, the host gets to decide on a number of options such as weather, vehicle types, spawn location, etc. The host also gets to decide if auto-aim can be used.
- Health, armor and cash pickups are available during multiplayer. The cash determines your online rank - from 0 to 10. Kill people and steal their money to boost your online credibility.
- You can wander anywhere during multiplayer, but if you die you will respawn in the area that the host has set.
- You can't play as Niko during multiplayer, but you can create your own character (male or female) using different clothing.
[OXM Multiplayer preview]