The latest issue of PlayStation: The Official Magazine contains an extensive preview of the upcoming Mafia II. As always, when a hot story is shown, a NeoGAF member will break it down for us. Lets take a look.
The game is sounding promising. I will have to pick up this issue soon as I'm a sucker for Italian games. I even re-purchased Godfather: The Don's Edition when I already had the original on the PlayStation 2. Damn Italian blood.
- The game will feature 3 families.
- Cops only call reinforcements if you committed a large enough crime.
- In total, there are about 2 hours of cutscenes.
- The game will contain references to the original game along with easter eggs.
- The game has 3 acts.
- All of the 2.5 square mile city available for travel at the start.
- You can use taxi's to get around the city.
- Cars get damaged, dirty, and even explode if shot in the gas tank.
- You can customize cars with your own license plates.
- There are 2 types of context sensitive environment interactions: Standard and Violent.
- You can buy food from vendors such as hotdogs.
- While buying stuff you cannot be attacked.
- NPC's will smoke, read newspapers, wait for buses, look through trash cans, etc.
- In several points in the story, you can make choices that affect the game.
- The game will feature multiple endings.
- Police will go after other criminals instead of just you
- You can buy houses where you can store your gear
- You can take missions for and against competing families.
- There will be many interactive objects such as chairs, bottles, sinks, etc.
- The map will have waypoints including sidequests.
- Checkpoints have improved from the original game.
- There will be no on screen interface.
- You can go to gyms to learn new hand to hand combo moves.
- Shooting through doors will possibly be added.
[Playstation: The Official Magazine May 08]