The latest issue of GameInformer revealed the Obsidian RPG Project, which is now called Alpha Protocol. The game is an Action RPG heading to the PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, and PC in Spring 2009.
The magazine states its "a modern day espionage focused action/RPG that takes you on a suspenseful ride in the vein of James Bond, Jack Bauer, and Jason Bourne. Take a wet-behind-the-ears greenhorn agent up through the ranks to become a bona-fide super spy."
Now for the list of details.
-Main character is Michael Thorton, a fully trained but inexperienced young operative who has the world turned upside down when a mission goes wrong.[Game Informer April Issue - Alpha Protocol Cover Story (Obsidian's New Action RPG)]
- The title "Alpha Protocol" is a phrase that is used when operatives go underground to work off the grid. Usually reserved for senior agents.
- Battle system is similar to Mass Effect but have more in common with Uncharted. It revolves around real time combat with an emphasis on gun play and high tech gadgets.
- Third person perspective, action orientated gameplay.
- Close quarters combat can be a last resort or primary method of fighting depending on how you spend skill points you have earned.
- Skill system is based most closely on Fallout. It's classless, you have 10 skills and 10 ranks in each skill. Skills don't simply improve things like accuracy, they improve the way your character will perceive situations.
- The game will suit all play styles from the run and gunner to the stealth assassin.
- Extremely in depth dialog system that is a mix of Mass Effect and Indigo Prophecy. Once conversations happen, that's it, no revisiting the NPC to try to talk again and again. System is named the Dialog Stance System. You dictate your characters tone in a conversation by pressing a corresponding face button. Options can be cool and suave others can be brash/impatient.
- You can have multiple active missions in different countries and travel freely between them.
- Lots of girls and romance subplots. You'll meet tons of different girls on missions and yes you can bag them all.
- Current control scheme for selecting powers and weapons is similar to Bioshock.